What is wrong with my gas tank fuel pumps gas tanks l4-2....

Q: What is wrong with my gas tank

asked by on September 23, 2017

I have an 08 avenger and my gas was on E i tried to fill it up and when i put it in only getting to about a dollar gas starts spitting out gas. What is causing it to do this?

Hello, thank you for writing in. Typically the fuel nozzle on the gas station’s pump has a small hole in it. Once the fuel has filled up the tank and the filler neck, it reaches this small hole in the nozzle, and triggers the pump to stop. This may not have been an issue with your fuel tank at all. This may have been an issue with the pump and gas station you were at. Try it again at another gas station. If the result is the same, there is likely a problem with the fuel filler neck that leads from the tank to the gas cap. It may be a clog or other form of restriction somewhere in the neck. For more help with an inspection, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.