Q: rattling noise when turning on a.c. then later stops making noise

have rattling noise when starting the a.c. but stops making noise a few minutes later

Hello there, many faults will cause a rattling noise when the AC is turned on in your 1997 Lexus ES300. The most common would be the belt tensioner, idler pulley, AC clutch, AC compressor, or the belt itself. When the AC is turned on it places an additional load on the engine it can exhibit faults not seen with the AC off. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your rattling noise and make any repairs required to resolve the noise.