Q: Starting problems with white smoke from the tailpipe

My car wouldn't start the other day and it sounded bad. I had the battery checked and it is fine. Later that day, it had the same loud sound and it started but blew gray smoke out. Then, ther was a lot of white smoke coming from the tailpipe. The car doesn't burn oil. It has no leaks.The dipstick occasionally shows oil. What could be the problem?

Hi there. Typically when this engine does this, it is either because the timing chain and tensioner is failing, or it may have a more serious internal issue. The timing chain is by far the most common cause of this. The smoke is the most concerning part as that can mean a more serious issue. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car’s starting and smoke issues, and help you proceed towards a proper repair.