Q: Starting problems with white smoke from the tailpipe

My car wouldn't start the other day and it sounded bad. I had the battery checked and it is fine. Later that day, it had the same loud sound and it started but blew gray smoke out. Then, ther was a lot of white smoke coming from the tailpipe. The car doesn't burn oil. It has no leaks.The dipstick occasionally shows oil. What could be the problem?

A: Hi there. Typically when this engine does t...

Hi there. Typically when this engine does this, it is either because the timing chain and tensioner is failing, or it may have a more serious internal issue. The timing chain is by far the most common cause of this. The smoke is the most concerning part as that can mean a more serious issue. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car’s starting and smoke issues, and help you proceed towards a proper repair.