Q: 1.Van shakes only when backing up. 2. While driving, van will not change gears.

I have 1 or 2 issues: 1. The van shakes noticeably only when backing up. 2. While driving the van, automatic, intermittently will not change gears. Not sure if it gets stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear, but it stays in gear. When this happens and I accelerate, the RPM's will run up. Only way we have figured out how to resolve this is by pulling off the road, placing in park and cutting the engine. When we start the van back up, the problem goes away, like a reset. The problem does come back, but again intermittently. We have had this happen as much as 6 times in one day that we can remember. Please help! We are trying to figure out what our direction is with this van. Thanks

Hi Arthur. Thanks for contacting us today. One thing that could cause both of these issues is a blown or leaking inner transmission seal. Since the automatic transmission works as a hydraulic unit, any leaks can cause inconsistent operation of shifting. It can also create an internal vibration to occur in some cases. It’s also possible that there are multiple issues with the driveline that are causing the symptoms to occur. In this case, I think instead of guessing at probable causes, an on-site inspection from a transmission specialist is the best way to correctly diagnose these problems.

3. 1.Van shakes only when backing up. 2. While driving, van will not change gears.