Q: car studders when it revs high

My SUV has around 156,000 mileage. It idles normally, but has trouble starting. When I accelerate on the interstate, it revs high and stutters and doesn't pick up speed like it should when accelerating. A friend told me it might be the transmission or the fuel pump. As an expert mechanic, what do you think the problem is?

If the engine is revving high, but not picking up speed especially in higher gears this is an indication of a transmission issue. The hard starting would not be attributed to the transmission, so another issue could be present, for example a fuel pump. What probably needs to be looked at is the residual fuel pressure and fuel pressure during a startup. If the fuel pressure is leaking, or the fuel system is partially clogged, this could cause extended cranking on start up or even a stumbling condition at steady cruise or acceleration. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who has the equipment and expertise to inspect why your car has trouble starting.