Q: car studders when it revs high

My SUV has around 156,000 mileage. It idles normally, but has trouble starting. When I accelerate on the interstate, it revs high and stutters and doesn't pick up speed like it should when accelerating. A friend told me it might be the transmission or the fuel pump. As an expert mechanic, what do you think the problem is?

A: If the engine is revving high, but not pick...

If the engine is revving high, but not picking up speed especially in higher gears this is an indication of a transmission issue. The hard starting would not be attributed to the transmission, so another issue could be present, for example a fuel pump. What probably needs to be looked at is the residual fuel pressure and fuel pressure during a startup. If the fuel pressure is leaking, or the fuel system is partially clogged, this could cause extended cranking on start up or even a stumbling condition at steady cruise or acceleration. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who has the equipment and expertise to inspect why your car has trouble starting.