Q: clunk in front end

I just installed all new ball joints ty rod ends in my truck. I now have a new clunk sound in the front end. It occurs when going forward and with a right turn. I does not happen in reverse or left turn. Truck is a 4x4. I jacked the truck up and tried it in forward no clunk in 4wheel. But my guess is it needs the weight on the wheels for it to happen. Any ideas where I should look. Thanks Rich

A: Hello. The symptoms you describe can be ca...

Hello. The symptoms you describe can be caused by a wide variety of issues. If you have already replaced the ball joints and tie rod ends then I would move on to looking at the vehicle's control arms. If the noise is coming from the right side I would carefully inspect the suspension control arm on that side. If any of the bushings are worn or damaged they can cause the suspension to clunk. If the noise appears to have an effect on the steering I would also double check that the ball joints and tie rod ends on that side are properly tightened. A few other things to look at are the shock absorber, and the engine mounts, again, on that side. A bad shock absorber or engine mount can also produce the symptoms you are experiencing. If you are unable to pinpoint the source of the noise I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose the cause of the clunking noise.