Q: Wont shift out of park

The shifter won't shift out of park. The brake lights work and I can't hear a click when I depress the brake pedal. We have used the shift lock release as a temporary fix but I need the problem permanently fixed. Thanks.

Hello, thank you for writing in. If the brake lights are working, you may assume the brake light switch is working. Keep it in the back of your mind however, as the symptoms of a failing switch can differ. The shift interlock solenoids that assist the complicated automatic transmission in changing gears may also be failing. If there is an issue with one of the solenoids or the transmission, the safety device keeps you from putting the vehicle in gear. One of the last possibilities is that the shift linkage from the shifter to the transmission is broken. If this is the case, the repair is going to be more extensive. Contact our service department to schedule an appointment for help resolving the issue or a quote.