Q: Which Tires are the Best for Highway Driving?

asked by on November 12, 2015

Which tires are the best for highway driving?

With so many different types, brands and sizes of tires available in today’s market, it can be an overwhelming experience when choosing which one is right for your vehicle. Whether you are looking to change tire sizes, improve tire life, or are simply looking for the same tire that your vehicle came with, it is important to know some simple information that can make you an informed buyer. This will prevent you from purchasing a tire that you may not be happy with.

If you are looking for a tire that will give you the best traction, you need to know what the ratings are on the tire and what to look for in a tread design. If you are looking for a tire that will give you good off road traction then you should choose a tire with a deep, open tread design. The deep tread will keep the tire from being easily punctured, and the open tread design will keep anything from getting stuck in the tread itself. When you are talking about traction in car tires you need to look at the traction rating on the sidewall. A traction rating of “A” is going to be better than a rating of “B”. There are also going to be various tread designs available depending on if you plan on using the tire for racing or if you need it to also perform in mud and snow. There is also a treadwear rating on the sidewall. The larger the number, the longer the tire tends to last. Most of the time this is because the rubber composition of the tire is harder. The harder the tire, the less traction it will have. This also mean that the more traction the tire will have, the shorter amount of time it will tend to last.

If you are looking for a tire that is going to last for quite a few miles, and if you drive primarily on the highway, then you need to find a tire with a closed tire tread. The smaller the gaps are between the rows of tread, the longer the tire will last. This will also keep the tire quiet when you are driving down the road. You can inspect the tire tread and get mileage ratings from the manufacturer of the tire, but knowing some of the ratings to look for will assist you in getting the right tire. When looking at the treadwear rating, you want to choose a tire with a high rating. This gives you an idea of how long the tire should last. There can also be some subtle differences that you can benefit from. If you live in a climate that produces much rain and snow then you should look for a tire that also has a “M+S” rating. This means it is rated for mud and snow. These tires will have a slightly open tread design which will keep snow or mud from sticking to heavily to the tire. This can cause the tire to not last quite as long, but if your climate requires this, then you need to get these for safety.

No matter what tire you are looking for, it is important to do some research and ask for recommendations from your local tire store prior to purchasing your tires. This will assist you in making a well educated decision. You also want to keep in mind the quality of the tire. Most of the time a higher quality tire will cost more than a lower end or generic tire. The saying “You get what you pay for” is important to think about when purchasing tires. More expensive tires tend to be constructed of superior products which assists the tire in performing better and lasting longer. Once you know enough about the way tires are rated when what to look for that best meets your unique driving situation, you will be able to purchase the tire that is best for your vehicle.