Q: Wondering if my clutch is starting to go bad. 2013 Dodge Dart

I'm curious whether or not my clutch is slipping or going bad. I get this bad smell in my car quite often which I was told could be my brake pads heating up but sometimes it doesn't happen with hard breaking it'll just randomly happen (usually on back roads where a lot of shifting is necessary). I've noticed that the shit knob and gear mechanism move a lot more when I'm driving in gear as well as sole instances where I have to put the clutch in and out a few times to get the car into first while stopped. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Hi there - it is possible that your clutch is nearing its "end of life", and needs replacement. A clutch that is scorched, or has any kind of oil (engine or transmission) will smell as well as slip after a while. In addition to the odd smell you mention, you also reference having difficulty getting the car into gear as well. This is the most obvious symptom for a clutch that is "dragging", or not completely releasing. I would recommend having your clutch inspected to determine if it should be replaced. A mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Wondering if my clutch is starting to go bad. 2013 Dodge Dart