Q: Loose gear shift knob. 2013 Scion FR-S

I have a problem with the gear shift knob in my car. It is so loose that I'm able to make it move around. As I'm shifting gears, I feel that it's not tight enough to make the gear shifting safe. I'm very concerned about safety while driving with a loose gear shift knob. I went to the dealership due to this issue and I was told that this is normal. What should I do?

A: Hello. It is normal for shifter knobs to be...

Hello. It is normal for shifter knobs to be a little loose, but this should not cause any safety issues while driving. If you aren’t comfortable with it, you could always replace it with a new shifter knob. The shifter knob could also need to be tightened a bit. If you need further help with this, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and inspect the shifting and advise you on any adjustment that can be done.