Q: My engine whines. It was low on power steering fluid, but adding did not make it goes away. Does it sometimes take a few minutes 2000 Mercury Villager

Engine makes whining sound. It was low on power steering fluid. I added proper amount. Still whines but I only gave it a minute. Does it sometimes take more time to work through the system before the whine goes away?

Hi there - your whining noise is probably due to air still being in the steering system, which can be removed by turning the steering all the way to the right, then to the left - repeat a couple of times, then re-check the steering fluid level, and add more fluid if necessary. Given your mileage, you may need to flush the steering fluid and replace the filter, which is in the bottom of the fluid reservoir. If it is clogged, the pump can’t get fluid fast enough, and will whine as though the fluid were low. I recommend a steering fluid service performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location and perform this maintenance service.

3. My engine whines. It was low on power steering fluid, but adding did not make it goes away. Does it sometimes take a few minutes 2000 Mercury Villager