Q: 2000 escalade will not lock with the key in the ignition, it only chimes and doesn't engage lock.

Did not come with keyless remote. Doors will power lock and unlock with key out of ignition. When key is in the ignition, I can unlock, but can not LOCK. There is nothing engaging to try n lock. When I press the lock on power lock when key is in the ignition it doesn't lock and it chimes, ding ding ding, until I release the lock button.

I have purchased a new keyless remote, as well. I have followed the directions to program the remote with no luck as well.

Any help on these two issues will be much appreciated. Thanks Trying 2 do it myself

Hi there. If the driver door is not locking with the door ajar and the key in the ignition, that is normal. If all of the doors are not engaging the locks with the key in the ignition and the engine off, that also is normal. If the engine is running and the transmission is in park, then the doors should lock and unlock, but auto lock when putting the vehicle in drive (if your vehicle has that function). Try this:

• Remove the key from the ignition
  • Take the battery cable off the battery and put it back on
  • Take the key and put it into the driver door
  • Turn the key once to unlock the driver door
  • Turn the key again and the other doors should lock
  • Unlock the driver door and open the door
  • Put the key in the ignition and turn it to ’ON’
  • Hold down on the lock button to lock all of the doors and turn off the key
  • Turn on the key to the ’ON’ position and release the door lock button
  • Hold down on the unlock button to unlock all of the doors and turn of the key
  • Turn on the key to the ’ON’ position and release the door unlock button

This should program the computer system to unlock and lock the doors by the door lock switches. If this does not seem to work, then there is an issue with the programming in the computer or a failed door lock button on the driver door. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you with your doors not locking if you are unable to get them to lock.

3. 2000 escalade will not lock with the key in the ignition, it only chimes and doesn't engage lock.