Q: The car cannot be put in gear when the engine runs

I have problems with the transmission. When the engine is running, I cannot put the car in gear. It would jerk forward if I put it in gear and then start the engine with the clutch pressed to the limit. Then, when it is revving high, I am able to put it in gear and get the car running. It is very stiff and difficult to drive. What should I do? Thanks.

Hello. It sounds like the clutch slave cylinder may not be working properly or has completely failed. The slave cylinder is what makes it easy for you to manually shift through the gears of the car. When the slave cylinder isn’t working properly, or fails completely, it may be difficult to go into gear and difficult to shift through gears. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come out to inspect your car’s shifting issues and potentially replace the clutch slave cylinder.

3. The car cannot be put in gear when the engine runs