Q: Is engine permanently - VW GTI oil screen fell out and intake camshaft,bridge and timing chain and tensioner had to be replaced.

Is my engine prone to future problems since my oil screen went missing and a foreign body was in my engine? I had to have the intake camshaft, camshaft bridge, oil screen timing chair and tensioner, lower TC , cover and gaskets replaced. This was all covered under an extended warranty. The warrant will soon expire and I am concerned I am driving a ticking time bomb. A few months later I had to replace the fuel pump and front and rear bushings. Is the engine prone to have more problems than an engine that hasn't been through this? Thank you!

Failure of the screen in the cam bridge that you are referring to is not uncommon. Indeed, the OEM bridge was updated and presumably that (the update) was installed in your vehicle. So long as all oil passages were clear (or cleared) at the time of the repair, the failure that you are describing has no effect whatsoever on the remaining service life of the engine. If there is any meaningful blockage, you will know about it quickly in any event (you thus won’t be left in suspense) because engines will not operate without adequate circulation of engine oil to both the top end and the bottom end. That means that if the engine is not making any noise, and the performance is normal, you have nothing to worry about. If you are really concerned, and want to obtain a definitive, indeed forensic, understanding of whether any problem remains within the engine insofar as oil circulation, all you need do is send a sample of your used engine oil, from your next oil change, to any of the engine oil analysis labs out there (there are quite a few good ones). The lab will analyze the oil and give you a report that tells you EXACTLY what, if any, metallic wear products are in the oil and what the origin is (steel, aluminum, bearing material, etc.). If you get the results back from the lab with normal levels, that is a definitive indication that oil flow is not blocked because if it were blocked, the levels of metallic contamination in the oil would not be normal. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Is engine permanently - VW GTI oil screen fell out and intake camshaft,bridge and timing chain and tensioner had to be replaced.