Q: When I put my car into drive it makes a loud grinding noise and doesnt move.

asked by on December 01, 2016

The car was driving fine. Then I stopped @ a friends real fast. When I was leaving I started the car, it started, then I put it in reverse, it reversed just fine, then I put it in drive. Now when I put it in drive it doesnt move and it's making a loud grinding noise.

Hi there. The transmission may have broken the differential or a CV shaft (constant velocity shaft). If a CV shaft was to break, then all of the power will go to the broken shaft. When you said that you stopped really fast, depending on how you stopped the vehicle will determine on how the transmission failed. The grinding noise is the gear train being destroyed or the CV shaft spinning. Check under the vehicle to see what has failed. If you see the CV shaft spinning, then the CV shaft was broken and needs replaced. If the CV shafts do not move and are solid, then the transmission needs rebuilt or replaced, if the shell is not broken. If you need further assistance with your vehicle having a grinding noise, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.