I have a 2010 scion tc with about 90k on it and since I'v...

Q: I have a 2010 scion tc with about 90k on it and since I've purchased the car its had overheating issues. I took it back to carmax

asked by on August 16, 2017

Hi I bought a 2010 scion tc back last october with 72xxx miles and is at 90k Since purchasing the car its had overheating issues. Took it back to carmax the second day they said they couldnt find nothing then said its a bad thermostat. Car ran great all winter long no issues. When it came time to use my ac again their was no issue. Then slowly started wanting to overheat. I went ahead since the money was right and replaced radiator fans water pump thermostat and valve cover gasket. My friend who works on cars says he thinks its a warped head or head gasket but isn't sure and dont really have the money for inspection. I generally drive with the heat on high if its 80plus outside. Sometimes it wont even get hot until I get to a specific place and for some strange reason itll spike up on the temp gauge. Ive burped the radiator more times than I can count. No leaks neither no exhaust smoke no smells. I had to delete the rest cause I ran out of characters on here

Hi Schuyler. I’m sorry to hear you are having a bad experience with overheating on the Scion. The truth is that random overheating problems like you’ve described are very difficult to pinpoint and isolate. Although many mechanics often assume that a blown head gasket or warped head is the CAUSE of an overheating problem, it actually is the RESULT of a problem. A head gasket will warp or break when excessive heat is created. If the initial overheating problem you had was not resolved in a quick period of time, it’s quite possible that the damage was done to the head gasket. A damaged head gasket can cause more engine sludge and debris to form inside of coolant lines, which can cause the temperature to rise higher than normal. It’s also possible that the coolant temperature sensor is not working correctly, which activates the cooling fans to reduce the temp in the radiator. The best advice I can offer is to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location to complete a car is running hotter than normal inspection, so they can inspect your Scion personally and try to isolate this problem.