Q: While driving my battery light and engine light came on and steering wheel was almost locked, had to strong arm it to barely turn

While driving home, my steering wheel seemed as if it locked up. My battery light came on followed by the check engine light. I was able to strong arm the wheel to get some turn and make it home. I am not sure what the problem is as this hasn’t happened to me with any of my cars yet.

The serpentine belt that drives the power steering pump should be checked. Even if the belt looks OK, and is tight, all the rotating elements (pulleys and accessories) should be checked for binding. If there is a problem in that belt circuit that would explain both the battery (charging system) fault and the reduced power assist. If you request serpentine belt inspection/replacement a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, will perform the required checks of the drive belt and components and if no fault is found will further diagnose the issue you are writing in about until the root cause is found and resolved. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. While driving my battery light and engine light came on and steering wheel was almost locked, had to strong arm it to barely turn