Q: Can a 42re transmission hook up to a 5.9 L Magnum gas engine

asked by on February 20, 2018

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4 wheel drive sport edition it currently has a 42re transmission in it but the dealership says it is supposed to have a 46re transmission in it so is it possible to hook a 42re transmission to a 5.9 liter V8 there is a sticker on the transmission with a part number and that part number comes up as a 42re I gave the dealership the last 8 digits of my VIN number and it is not supposed to have that transmission how would you interchange those would it be a direct fit or has something been modified

The 42RE will "fit" but it is definitely not a "direct" fit as in a catalog interchange. The 42RE is a light duty vehicle transmission and thus the torque rating (power handling capability) is lower than that of the 46RE. The 42RE is not intended to be used with a large 5.9L engine. The gear ratios (first and second) are different in the two transmissions and it is likely that a different torque converter was used when the swap was made. I would not be able to render a guess as to whether the PCM was somehow re-programmed. Due to the difference in the gear ratios, I would wonder if and how the transmission shift points (and shift feel) has been affected compared to the original transmission. If you are looking for a 46RE core to rebuild, in order to restore the vehicle to OEM, such can be obtained via on-line seaching at Car-Part.com. There are lots of them there. If you are interested in a transmission replacement, or rebuilding services, YourMechanic professionals in certain locales can assist with that. Please simply inquire based on your locale. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.