Q: Do you have to have the mechanical key in the fob to start the car

asked by on September 24, 2017

I lost my blade key and I was wondering if the fob will still start the car without it.

Hello, thank you for writing in. If the vehicle is equipped with a keyless entry and start system, then yes. You should still be able to start the car without the piece of metal they give you in the key fob to use as a key when the system fails. If your vehicle is not equipped with a push to start system, then no. The computer in the keyless entry and push-to-start systems reads a computer chip in the key fob, and the vehicle will run as long as it detects that chip.