Q: Hi I have a 2004 Santa Fe and I've had to replace the alternator on it and now it's the second time in three months we found out t

asked by on February 24, 2017

I have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe I recently had to get the alternator replace about three months ago the alternator is going bad again and we found out that there is an oil gasket leak that is causing it it is getting worked on but the mechanic says until he gets into it he doesn't know how bad it will be is this fixable

Without seeing for myself, I’d say it is more than likely fixable. Oil leaks are not uncommon as vehicles age. It can simply be a valve cover gasket - the top engine cover gasket. Only if it turns out to be a crankshaft or camshaft seal leaking, will it be more involved and costly. Externally leaking head gaskets are a rarity but also possible and quite costly as it would involve removing the cylinder head. Whatever the diagnosis, ask that they show you what is actually leaking before you agree to any repairs.