Grinding/scraping noise coming from back of car h4-2.5l 2...

Q: Grinding/scraping noise coming from back of car

asked by on July 25, 2017

When driving down the road, there is a grinding or scraping noise coming from the back of my car. When I increase speed, it gets louder, but when I decrease speed,it gets quieter. When I go in reverse, the noise is heard as well. We already checked the differential, and there's no problem there. However, from the differential is where the noise can be felt. What can I do to fix it?

Hello, thank you for writing in. If the sound is not coming from the differential, but is coming from that area, you will want to check the driveline and the axles. Look for anything that is rubbing, has a worn seal, is leaking, dented, or damaged. While it is harder to check for loose components, make sure nothing is out of place or has excess play. Considering the noises get worse with speed, your concerns are valid checking the differential and it’s immediately related components. Having the vehicle suspended in the air to check for the source if the noise is best. You may want to seek help from a technician who can properly test the vehicle and who has a trained ear for these noises. For more help from our technicians, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.