Q: Will a new oil pump stop the possible valve ticking in my 2004 Subaru Impreza when its cold and what should I put in the transmission

asked by on April 10, 2017

i was just informed the slight ticking sound coming from my subaru could be related to valve train issue, i was informed that possibly an oil change may be the cause however i changed my oil in the last thousand miles, and regularly at 3k. I was wondering if a new oil pump may resolve the issue and is this detrimental to my engines longevity. Also i was wondering what i should use in my transmission of my 04 subaru impreza 2.5rs ej251 non turbo, I heard gear lube and if so is there a better brand to buy? or is it normal transmission fluid

Change Oil and Filter $92.43 - $157.60 Get a Quote

Hello. If the oil pressure is low then a new oil pump can lessen or eliminate the ticking noise. If the oil pressure is fine and you are still getting noise then you may have a failure in the valve train. This can occur from simple wear and tear which may result in the need for a rebuilt engine. I would change the oil again, use a Subaru filter and the correct weight and brand of oil. That can make all of the difference. As for the transmission you need use Subaru fluid in the transmission. Anything less can cause damage to the transmission. If you want to have these fluids changed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [change your oil and transmission fluid] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/change-oil-and-filter