Q: Warning light reveals electronic steering gear box needs replacing

Several times the ‘service advancetrac’ warning light has come on recently. This morning I took my van for a diagnosis at the dealership. They reported that the electronic steering gear box should be replaced (Very expensive)! They also said that the steering could fail because of the condition of the gear box. This news, of course, causes alarm and great concern! I haven't had any steering problems. Would I have experienced some kind of steering problem if the cause is truly the electronic steering gear box?

A: With modern vehicles that have many electro...

With modern vehicles that have many electronic systems, it is not unusual for parts to quickly fail. In the past, mechanical parts would take awhile to fail and would generally let the users know something was wrong. Electrical parts, while more reliable, have a tendency to fail much more quickly or just stop working. If you want to have a second opinion on this from an independent mechanic, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your steering system and let you know what fixes may be needed.