Q: Fuel pump module failure, 2014 Chevy Suburban

asked by on December 01, 2016

Dealer service shop diagnosed no start issue is related to a fuel pump module failure, and replacement cost is $700 ($300 part, $400 labor).
Questions: 1) How long should a fuel pump module last? 2) Should I ask them to also replace the fuel pump too (Since they are already working inside the fuel tank)?
3) Is the fuel pump and Module considered a part of the "power train" - i.e. included in power train warrant?

Thanks

Hi there:

Let me answer your questions in order:

1) A fuel pump module is an electrical component, so in theory it should last the life of the vehicle. However, it’s common for this part to war out sooner than it should.

2) Most fuel pumps tend to last more than 100,000 miles, however, if you plan on keeping the vehicle for an extended time; you might want to have that serviced at the same time.

3) The fuel pump is not typically covered under manufacturer’s "power train" warranty. However, it never hurts to ask the dealership if this is covered under a service warranty you might have on the vehicle if you are the original owner of the vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr