Q: Uneven brake rotor wear

asked by on October 17, 2016

I have a problem with my Hyundai Tucson 2007, the rear LEFT brake rotor (almost brand new, with a few hundred miles/km, not machined) is wearing only half an inch from its center (inside and outside face). The brake pads were replaced at the same time as the rotor. I have checked the left rear brake pads (in and out), I cleaned the caliper and the caliper mounting bracket, the pad retainers and the brake pads still rub only on the inner brake rotor. The brake rotor is rusted 1 inch from the outer edge on the inside and the outside. i noticed some more problems, maybe the cause: 1. the caliper body moves, almost 0,03 inches / 1 millimeter, along the arrow depicted in the first picture. https://postimg.org/image/tba5aa1j1/ 2. also the guide rod bolt circled in the second picture also moves with the caliper body. https://postimg.org/image/3ydhvljhl/ 3. the distance between caliper bracket frame and the brake rotor hub is less on the left side of the car ,than on the right side.

Hello. I tried to view the pictures but the link seems to be broken. It sounds like you have two different problems reading the description of the problem. The first is the brake pads being too tight and binding in the caliper bracket. This is most likely caused from the pad ends are not machined smooth and do not slide into the caliper bracket smooth. This will cause them to bind and cause low brake application or will keep the brakes partly applied wearing them down quickly. The other possible problem is the caliper may be binding on the slides or the piston is binding. If you would like precise advise on exactly what needs repair, have a certified professional diagnose the brake system in person and follow through with correct repairs.