Q: Fail safe Mode engaged with the engine shaking. Possible over revving of the engine

asked by on August 10, 2016

While on about an hour drive I had to pull over. When I got back on the road I accelerated using the manual shifter on m automatic, I over revved one of the lower gears for sure. Later on, it got sluggish and then started to shake. I feared overheating but I figured out the fail safe limp mode was probably activated but I have to drive 65 miles home today... Idk what to do about this and I'm in country land with my BMW. I have two heat sensors showing up in the check engine light and a coolant temp sensor.

Your vehicle is in limp mode to prevent engine damage from the overheating. I suggest you let the motor cool for a while before trying to drive it again, if at all. I also suggest having a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, check your vehicle to diagnose your driving symptoms, and to give you a quote for the repairs.