Q: Air bags deployed - is it possible to repair, at what cost? 1999 Chevrolet Malibu

My daughter was in an accident where she rear-ended someone and the airbags deployed in her car (her grandmother's car actually). We had just put 4 new tires on and done other work to the car. She did not have collision coverage so many people are saying because the book value of the car was less than $2000 that she should just junk it but for many reasons we want to see about fixing instead. Is it possible to get and install new airbags in a 17 year old car? Please advise. Thanks

Hi there - yes, it is possible to get replacement air bags, and other damaged supplemental restraint system components for a 17-year old car. This is, however, very sensitive work, and should only be done by a qualified auto body or service technician. Installation and resetting the system so that it would work perfectly in the event of a future crash, is very precise work requiring specialized knowledge and tools. Best to have this done by a qualified, reputable crash service center. Unfortunately, this is not a service YourMechanic offers at this time. Thanks for thinking of us though!