Q: Have an Audi q7 V6 Supercharger with excess oil consumption. Have used 3/4 of a quart of oil in 2,200 miles. Do you have any advic

Have an Audi q7 V6 Supercharger with excess oil consumption. Have used 3/4 of a quart of oil in 2,200 miles. I purchased it used with 81000 miles on it. It is burning oil as there is residue in the tail pipes and I have had to replace the oil. Do you think replacing the PCV breather under the supercharger will help?

The breather may or may not help. It’s hard to give you a definite answer. You can examine a dozen of the same engine and find those that consume zero oil, some that consume a little, and some that consume a lot. To you (and myself), that mat seem like excessive oil consumption whether 81 miles or 81,000 miles. I drove my 1986 Jetta like I stole it for 15 years and 230,000 miles before it started to consume oil. However, "industry standards" prevail whenever oil consumption is brought up. With only a couple of exceptions, most manufacturers consider 1 quart per 1,000 miles as "acceptable" oil consumption with a brand new engine, let alone one with 81,000 miles on it. It’s considered "allowances for production variances". So unfortunately, even if your vehicle was still under factory warranty and was consuming 3/4 of a quart every 2,200 miles, the answer you’d get is that it’s "acceptable oil consumption".

• Have an Audi q7 V6 Supercharger with excess oil consumption. Have used 3/4 of a quart of oil in 2,200 miles. Do you have any advic