Q: Powertrain Light

asked by on June 10, 2017

My throttle control/power train light came on. My vehicle would normally hesitate when pressing the gas button. It is not enough power behind pressing the gas. So I got the Throttle position Sensor replaced in my checkup by the mechanic and the light still appeared and I had the same issue with my car. They ran a diagnostic on my vehicle and no codes popped up in my car. My engine was fine, transmission was fine, the throttle body was fine but I am still having th issue. They told me it might be a service light or call Mazda dealership to see if they can look into it. For Mazda to look into it it cost $128/hour for them just to look into it. What else could the issue be? What do you think needs to be fixed? I can't afford the dealer's price and I need another option.

The power train warning light generally will come on when the computer has detected a fault within the transmission control system. When this happens, the transmission control system puts the vehicle into a "limp mode" which helps to prevent further damage to the engine or transmission by reducing the load put on it. This may mean many different things such as a faulty transmission control module, a faulty transmission shift solenoid or possibly a bad transmission speed sensor. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr