Q: Blown engine, is the repair cost worth it?

asked by on November 04, 2015

Just past 100,000 miles, my 2007 Hyundai Sonata blew its engine. I was really disappointed, the car had been relatively reliable up to that point. I am having the engine replaced but it really happened out of nowhere. I noticed it felt a little sluggish one morning and by the afternoon it wouldn’t start up. Did I do something or miss any big signs here?

My first question to you would be to ask you why the engine is being replaced. Did you already have the problem diagnosed and were told you need an new engine? I would need more information to properly diagnose your problem? Did your engine lose power from lack of fuel, overheating, timing chain or timing belt problems? Any of these problems could cause the drive complaints you listed. A proper in person diagnosis by YourMechanic is needed to inspect and do a thorough diagnostics on your vehicle before you go through the expense of an engine replacement. A sluggish running engine could be a fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter. I would also look at the cost of an engine versus the value of the vehicle. You may be able to get a remanufactured engine if it is needed. Make sure you find the reason for your failure before you proceed with any repairs. Any repair attempt without knowing why it failed could potentially be a costly repeat failure/repair if not diagnosed properly.