Rattles and shakes on startup engines filters chrysler 20...

Q: Rattles and shakes on startup

asked by on November 04, 2015

It doesn’t happen for more than a second, but my 2012 Chrysler 200 rattles every single time I start it up after having it parked for a while. The car has barely 20,000 miles on it. The issue I am having is kinda weird, because I am concerned with what the rattle can mean as far as the engine’s health goes, and I cannot replicate it for a mechanic to hear for themselves. I took a video but it wasn’t very clear. What can I do to get this diagnosed before something breaks?

To have a technician verify the condition you could leave your car overnight with the dealer or contact YourMechanic and schedule an early appointment so either technician would be there to start the vehicle first thing in the morning.

Depending on your engine you either have a standard spin-on type filter for the 2.4L engine or a canister style filter on a 3.6L engine. Either way you need to make sure you use the proper filter. The 3.6L has a technical service bulletin (TSB) 09-003-13, dated 09/03/2013 that states the 2011-2013 filter is different than the 2014 engine and using the wrong filter may cause internal engine damage. Use of an incorrect filter will void any warranty you may have. The noise you are hearing may be related to a leak down of oil to the lifters, timing tensioner or other components due to oil filter or other issues. YourMechanic can isolate a potential oil leak for you and estimate any repairs or point you in the right direction if it turns out to be under warranty.