Q: Won't start steering lock

I borrowed my dad’s C350 and drove to the mall. I parked it, went shopping and got back to it in 45 minutes, and it wouldn't start! The steering lock is on, and it won't release. But the electronics work. When I tried starting the car it wouldn’t turn over. I had it towed to the repair shop. Do you have any idea what’s causing this? I am going to be in big trouble from my dad for using his car.

A: Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 200...

Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 2006 Mercedes Benz C350. Most of the time this is a battery issue. The battery is a common failure and will allow some of the electronics to work but keep the engine from cranking over. If the battery is fine, then it may be the electronic ignition switch or the front SAM (signal acquisition module). I would usually have to do some electrical testing first if the the battery is fine. If you are planning on having this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair the starting issue.