Q: Why would i keep getting p0013 and p0023 codes when the truck isn't equipped with exhaust cams, it's not a 4 cam engine

asked by on October 25, 2016

I am a mechanic and I work for a used car lot we recently got a 2011 f250 that have exhaust cam sensor/actuator codes that the vehicles wasn't equipped with

Hello - this engine, although single overhead camshaft, does use variable cam timing, actuated by "cam torque", rather than engine oil pressure, to adjust exhaust valve timing (relative to the intake valves). This engine was introduced to Ford trucks in 2010 (Raptor), and replaces the 6.8l V10 used in previous F250 & heavier trucks for 2011.

An excellent discussion of the new engines features, by one of the Ford engineers, can be found here. If you need assistance, one of our mobile technicians can come to you for a Check Engine Light inspection to help diagnose this problem.