Q: Why is my tachometer reving up to 3000rpms while only driving 35 - 40 mph in town?

I just bought used 2008 HHR. I noticed while driving the tachometer is reving up to 3 or 3.5. Engine sounds as if its winding up. This happens at speeds as low as 35 mph in town. I don't think it's suppose to do this.

It sounds like you may have a transmission that is not shifting into second or third gear and would need to have the system checked to see what is causing it. Whenever a used vehicle is purchased, it is a good idea to have a pre-purchase inspection done by a mechanic to identify problems that it may have. You may need to have the computer tested and the system diagnosed for its high RPM symptoms.

3. Why is my tachometer reving up to 3000rpms while only driving 35 - 40 mph in town?