Q: Why is my tachometer reving up to 3000rpms while only driving 35 - 40 mph in town?

I just bought used 2008 HHR. I noticed while driving the tachometer is reving up to 3 or 3.5. Engine sounds as if its winding up. This happens at speeds as low as 35 mph in town. I don't think it's suppose to do this.

It sounds like you may have a transmission that is not shifting into second or third gear and would need to have the system checked to see what is causing it. Whenever a used vehicle is purchased, it is a good idea to have a pre-purchase inspection done by a mechanic to identify problems that it may have. You may need to have the computer tested and the system diagnosed for its high RPM symptoms.

• Why is my tachometer reving up to 3000rpms while only driving 35 - 40 mph in town?