Q: Q: Ignition problems

My 1995 GMC SL 3500 die on me while driving. It did not start. I try to turned on and nothing. No signs of bad starter or whatsover. The stereo and the lights were working perfect. But, no dashboards lights at all. I suspected that it was a burned fuse and I checked them all. They all were fine. I checked the batthery connections and they were fine too. I towed to my house and I changed the ignition module as I was advised. The new ignition module did not fix the problem. I tested the starter and the starter motor was no working properly. So I replaced the starter and it did not solve my problem. Finally, after couple of days of frustration, I decided to hotwire my GMC. It started right away!!! I drove it and tested. The truck was working and running fine but I noticed that my tranny was not shifting to 4th and 5th gea and together the rpm gauge and speedometer were not working. I went back home and I replaced the ignition switch. I tested the truck and back to problem A! :( :(

Hello. If you are losing battery power to particular circuits then most of the time this is caused by a bad ground connection, a failing battery cable, or it may be a bad transmission position sensor. It is common for this sensor to not read correctly which will keep the vehicle from starting and it will also cause shifting issues. I usually test this sensor first as it is the likely issue. If it is fine then I move on to test the battery cables with a voltage drop test. If you are going to have this no start problem fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.

3. Q: Ignition problems