Q: Hello! I have a 2005 Ford Mustang V6. I have an automatic transmission. Recently it has been shifting very roughly at low speeds.

My car has been roughly shifting into lower gears. I have an automatic transmission. My car will rev higher than normal and then it jerks into gear. It feels like I'm poorly shifting a manual. If i take off fast, for instance pulling out onto a street, sometimes it freezes and then jerks and takes off. Its kind of scary as it sometimes feels like its just not going to go. It does this when I drive at slower speeds. Usually into first and second. The jerk feels like it won't go then suddenly it lunges forward. It sometimes pops roughly into reverse as well. How can I fix this issue?

Check the transmission fluid level and condition. Typically, abrupt and/or delayed shifting is caused by valve body faults and that includes faulty shift solenoids. There is a possibility of engine controls, particularly, a faulty throttle position sensor, playing a role though. In addition to valve body faults, any defect in the transmission that causes a hydraulic leak (past a clutch piston for example) or problems with line pressure can cause what you are describing. Often, the problem can be pinpointed using a scan tool that measures transmission operating parameters and/or external gauges to measure line pressure. If you want a shift diagnostic, performed by a certified Mechanic dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a difficulty in shifting diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Hello! I have a 2005 Ford Mustang V6. I have an automatic transmission. Recently it has been shifting very roughly at low speeds.