Q: My car is really messing up...what does reduce engine power means

It won’t exceed 10mph..it jerks and when I crank it..it will idle very highly for about 20sec before it idles down

Hi there. Thanks for contacting us today. When the vehicle’s computer detects a fault in the engine that affects its drivability, performance, transmission or emission system it will trigger the reduced power light. It will also trigger if there is an issue with the electronic throttle, the accelerator pedal or the throttle module. When a vehicle goes into reduced power mode it will seriously impact its performance. Some vehicle will be restricted to idle speed while others restrict speed to 20-30 miles per hour. The Reduced Power trigger will save Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs), which will indicate where the fault occurred. To determine the precise source of this code, an on-site inspection is required.