Q: Bolt on 06 Elantra control arm no longer attached

asked by on June 30, 2017

Replaced my driver side CV axle on my '06 Hyundai Elantra. Ex decided he wanted to help so I could go to work, didn't put the nut on completely on the control arm. Not sure if he didn't make sure the bolt on the arm was straight and attached to the nut inside the arm or if he just cut a corner to make it quicker. I have a photo if that helps. Will I need to replace the entire support arm?

The repair will depend on whether the arm detached and as a consequence got damaged. Also, detachment of the arm if the vehicle is moving can potentially damage other parts such as the mounting boss(es) on the frame that the arm is bolted to. The best case would be if the arm got loose at low speed, nothing got twisted or broken and it can all just be bolted back together and the wheel alignment checked. Worst case is the control arm could have sustained damage, and will have to be replaced and, as noted, all accompanying and adjacent parts will have to be inspected to be everything is safe and secure. Your best bet is to just request an inspection of the control arm. A certified mechanic will come right to your location and take all necessary steps to get this resolved. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.