Q: White smoke coming out from exhaust when throttled.

Hello All. I usually service my car using a mobil 20W-50 oil, but another mechanic used a SAE 40 heavy duty oil of another brand instead.

When started, everything was fine. After the engine became hot, we now notice the smoking from the exhaust. He switched off the engine for 30 mins and restarted, the smoking stopped. As soon as the accelerator pedal was stepped on, the smoking resumes. He now recommended we drain out the wrong oil and used the usual one. This was done, the car was driven, smoking at high speed for long distance to flush out the bad oil. Still the smoking continues.

The next day, we discovered the oil level has gone down when we checked using the gauge. I have never notice these for the past four years I have been using the car. Please. .What is bad specifically? Cos I have got several predictions. ..leaking valve seal, rings, burnt gasget...

:Also, Should the engine be dropped completely before fixing this problem. cos Im not too comfortable with that. Thanks

Oil level is low Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. The lowering of the engine oil is a sign that the oil is being burned in the engine. For the oil to get into the combustion chamber it must pass through a bad piston ring, a bad valve cover gasket, or a failed valve seal. The hotter the engine gets, the oil becomes thinner. The new oil may be seeping through components in which the previous oil was not able to pass. There is also the fact that the different oils lubricate and condition differently, and the sudden change may have lead to a premature deterioration of these gaskets and seals. The engine may need to be pulled in order to perform some of the possible repairs. Further testing will tell if this is needed. For more help resolving the issue, or obtaining a quote, contact our service department.