Q: Whistling noise when braking and accelerating

My car has gone around 120,000 miles and lately I've noticed that it started making some noises. There is an occasional whistling while I'm applying the brakes. I can also hear it when I'm increasing the speed from second gear. I had the brakes checked and they are not the cause. What could be wrong?

A: Hello. If the noise occurs when applying th...

Hello. If the noise occurs when applying the brakes and not moving then you may have a failure in the brake assist. If it only occurs when the vehicle is moving then you may have a failure in one of the bearings or it may just be glazed brake pads.

I would need to know when it occurs. I usually start diagnosing this by getting the vehicle into the air and inspecting these parts for wear. If you plan on having this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the noise firsthand and make the necessary repairs.