How much is a power steering flush and change for a 2009 ...

Q: How much is a power steering flush and change for a 2009 Honda Civic?

asked by on March 29, 2017

How often do you need to change the power steering fluid? What is price for flush and fill power steering fluid? How long does a battery last? How do I know if I need a new one? What is cost?

Honda does not specify any service interval for power steering fluid for your specific vehicle and consequently it is not "required" to change the power steering fluid. That is fairly typical (i.e., no specific service requirement). However, it is nevertheless wise to change the power steering fluid at a reasonable interval because power steering fluid does accumulate wear products (bits of rubber, dirt, and abrasives) from throughout the system and these wear products will eventually adversely affect the system seals, possibly shortening the service life of the pump and the rack assembly. A good rule of thumb is once you start to see significant discoloration of the fluid that is a good time to change it. The discoloration, of course, is your tip off that the fluid has become saturated with wear products. Apart from a visual check, you can assume that around 30,000 to 50,000 miles is not unreasonable as a service interval. If you are looking for something more definite, such doesn’t exist because estimates of service life for steering fluid, as published in the literature, range from 24,000 miles on up to 150,000 miles or more. The prudent course is simply to assume that significant fluid discoloration represents the point at which the fluid is holding a lot of contaminants and that can be your decision rule insofar as scheduling changes, or every 30,000 to 50,000 miles. If you desire this service it can be requested from YourMechanic as power steering fluid service and the cost involved is shown at the foregoing link or if you click on "Get a Quote" on that service page.

Batteries typically last anywhere from 4 to 7 years. The standard procedure to determine the condition of a battery is to conduct a load test. If the battery passes, it’s usable but if it passes the load test only "marginally", it is highly recommended to just replace the battery and the cost to do that is at the link. Batteries are critically important in modern cars. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.