Q: Very slow acceleration starting. 1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet

asked by on August 31, 2016

When I press my foot on the accelerator of my car it has no energy hardly at all. It’s super slow, but then it eventually will start to pick up and go much faster. Is there anything I can do to improve the acceleration performance of my car?

Throttle Position Sensor Replacement $129.21 - $646.10 Get a Quote
Clean Throttle Body $93.59 - $291.31 Get a Quote

Hello. There could be a problem with the throttle cable that goes from the gas pedal to the throttle body. There could also be a problem with the throttle position sensor in that it may not be reading the proper throttle position. This may prevent the car from getting enough gas during acceleration. It is possible that the idle could be adjusted higher to see if that changes anything. Finally, it is also possible that the problem may be fixed by having the throttle body cleaned. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, assist you with this repair if you still need help.