Q: My 1977 chevy c10 is accelerating after i put it in park. And when i switch gear to drive it accelerates without me pushing on gas

as soon as I turn my truck on I put it on drive it will start accelerating on its own. And then when I putting it on a break when at a stoplight it's hard to g3t it to brake. It has a weird smell when I turn the car off afterwards. Even when I switch gears from Park to drive the truck kind of jumps or has to kick to start driving. Even as I'm driving I let go of the gas and the truck continues to drive in the same speed another words it does not slow down or Coast.

Engine idle speed is high Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The possible causes of this are a vacuum leak, a stuck throttle plate, or an improperly adjusted carburetor or throttle linkage (or binding linkage). If you desire a diagnostic, and the required repairs, please schedule service using YourMechanic’s engine idle speed diagnostic - high idle and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.