Q: Car stutters in gear and stopped, the check engine light is on

My car has the check engine light on and it stutters when it is in gear, while the car is stopped. I got it checked and it turned out to be misfiring of the cylinder 2. I had it replaced along with the spark plugs. But, the check engine light came on again. The stuttering is very noticeable when I stop the car but keep the air conditioning running. Eventually, the car turns off completely. Do you have any idea what could be causing this? Thank you.

A: Hello. I would need to know what you replac...

Hello. I would need to know what you replaced to try and diagnose this issue. If you replaced the spark plug and the ignition coil then you may have an internal engine problem. Most of the time this is caused by an internal valve issue that will cause low compression.

To diagnose this, I would start by doing a compression test to see if the engine is fine. If the compression on that cylinder is low then the cylinder head will need to come off and be rebuilt. If the compression is fine, then it may be a bad fuel injector. If you want to have this repaired, consider having a certified mechanic diagnose your Check Engine Light and find the fix for the stutter issue you’re experiencing.