Q: Whining noise in my 2008 Nissan Altimas CVT Transmission

asked by on October 10, 2017

My car has an incredibly loud and annoying whining sound when I press on the gas, it also has bad motor mounts which makes the car constantly jerk and shake, however I was told even fixing the motor mounts wouldn’t get rid of the whining sounds, I saw online however that I could get rid of the sound if drained the cvt transmission fluid and replaced it, is this true? Am I just stuck with the constant whine while driving?

The answer to your question is maybe. Maybe you can quiet the sound with a fluid change, maybe you have to put up with it. I don’t recommend changing the fluid yourself, there are often procedures that involve measuring the transmission temp while filling the fluid. And it’s important that you use the factory specific fluid. I’m also concerned about your motor mounts. Driving with bad motor mounts can put a lot of stress on other parts of the drivetrain. You should consider having them taken care of as well. You can have these things looked at at your convenience by contacting YourMechanic. They will send a technician to your home or office to check out your whining noise and your motor mounts and recommend a treatment