Q: Transmission quits working completely until I turn it off, then restart it, and then it works briefly, quits again.

2000 Chevy 1500 4WD Automatic Transmission: While driving, transmission quits working completely until I turn it off, then restart it, and then it works briefly again, then the transmission stops working again, it revs, but doesn't engage. 213k miles. Nothing has been changed or added since we bought it. We've gotten about 7k miles out of it since purchase. Possibly the transmission was rebuilt once before. What is the problem? I searched the other threads but didn't see an exact match for my symptoms.

if the engine speed is increasing and the vehicle does not move, the transmission is slipping. The first thing to do would be to let the engine idle and warm up to operating temperature and then check the transmission fluid level while the engine is running and the gear selector is in park. If the fluid is at the proper level and the transmission is malfunctioning there may be an internal failure. If the fluid level is too low from a leak, this may cause the transmission to slip as well. Consider hring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out for a closer look and offer a more personal diagnosis of your transmission concerns.

3. Transmission quits working completely until I turn it off, then restart it, and then it works briefly, quits again.