Q: My car is making a noise from around the alternator area,but when the serpentine belt is taking off the sound stops. 2003 Ford Mustang

asked by on February 26, 2017

My car is a Ford mustang v6 and there is a noise coming from the alternator area but stops when I take the serpentine belt off.the noise does get louder when I push on the accelerator.would like some advice on the problem.done changed the power steering pump and still have the problem.

Hi there - good plan for diagnosis, isolate the motion that is causing the symptom! The noise could be an alternator bearing, or the serpentine belt idler or tensioner pulley bearing. These make noise that is proportional with engine speed (with the belt on of course). If you have a "mechanics stethoscope", you can isolate which of these bearings is going bad. For assistance, I recommend a engine noise inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, confirm this diagnosis, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.