Q: Traction Light on

My Traction Light keeps coming on. And the truck will auto downshift, and only allow me to drive five miles per hour. Traction has started to kick in whenever we slow down, or stop at a traffic light. It also tends to be on whenever we start the truck up. We would have to turn the engine off, wait a few minutes, and then restart it to make the traction disengage.

A: It sounds like there is a serious problem i...

It sounds like there is a serious problem in the traction control system. Fault codes need to read out to see what the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) sees. For the traction control system to work properly, it needs to be reading and interpreting the input sensors correctly, and it needs to be able to control the output actuators as well. If any of these items do not check out correctly, the traction control will either operate incorrectly, or shut down. So the fault information is imperative to guiding the direction of the diagnosis. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the equipment and expertise to diagnose the cause of the Traction Control Light illumination issue, and be able to recommend the proper course of repair.