Q: Steering wheel squeaking, after a sudden thudding sound

asked by on August 19, 2016

Several days ago during driving, there was a sudden thudding sound while I was turning the steering wheel. After that, the steering wheel became a bit difficult to use. There was also squeaking noise that was coming from behind the steering wheel. I checked the floor panel and no sounds were coming from the boot and column. What could be making the noise?

Without inspecting the vehicle firsthand, I can only guess as to what might be wrong with your vehicle. The issue would be in the column, steering gear, or even the power steering system. Regardless, the vehicle doesn’t sound like it’s safe to drive. I suggest you have it repaired by a professional as soon as possible. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls and will diagnose your steering wheel issue at your own convenience.