Q: Whining from timing area after water pump was replaced

asked by on September 19, 2016

I had the water pump replaced and now there is a whine/whir coming from the timing chain area, they spent an extra day "tracking down" the cause of the noise. It did NOT whine before I brought it in. Two years ago there was a low hum that the dealer said was coming from the belt tensioner pulley, the sound resolved within a month. I was given 3 different reasons for this new sound. #1: If coolant dripped on the tensioner pulley it would sound louder. I told them it's not the same sound as before. Number two: The new water pump is amplifying the sound from the timing chain. Number 3: The tensioner is weak and is causing the noise and I'll need to replace both tensioner AND timing chain, but were vague on the severity/urgency ("It's hard to tell when it will go out, it depends on the car...") I'm skeptical, the mechanic wouldn't speak to me directly, and they brushed it off as a nuisance that can wait to be dealt with later. I'm hesitant to go back to have them address it, should I?

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello.

All three of those are definite possibilities to the source of the noise. If the issue only started after that shop worked on your vehicle then they should be responsible for helping you figure out what the problem is. The issue was not there prior to them touching the vehicle, therefore something they did has to at least be linked to the issue.

I would return to the shop and have them either take care of the noise, or give you a refund so that you can have another shop or technician take care of it. If you decide to do the latter, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home to pinpoint the noise and help you fix it accordingly.